This is the final and most recent piece in a series highlighting some of the risks inherent in Internet use. Gambling dates back hundreds of thousands of years, making it one of the first kinds of amusement known to humankind. When poker cards are played responsibly, they can provide hours of fun. There is, however, a considerably more sinister aspect to this kind of leisure activity. Only approximately 5% to 6% of people who gamble develop a severe compulsive or uncontrollable addiction to the activity. Gambling is a coping mechanism for certain people who are experiencing emotional distress or social tension. Modern research has shown that a person’s innate genetic makeup plays a factor in the delivery of this condition in many cases. Addiction researchers have argued about how to define problem gambling for a while ago 15 years.
- Those who suffer from a gambling disorder are unable to control their urges to gamble despite the negative effects it has on their lives. They may gamble to relieve stress, feel an overwhelming need to gamble when they aren’t doing so, and continue to gamble despite the risk it poses to their relationships, financial security, employment, and other important aspects of their lives.
- The proliferation of online casinos has democratized the gambling industry. There are hundreds of international online casinos to choose from. You may play dice games, blackjack, slots, and even Texas hold ‘em with only a few clicks of the mouse. One of the largest industries on the web, internet gambling generates billions of dollars annually.
A couple of years ago he received a referral to a hospital, Harry, a 70-year-old without children widower, lost his wife to cancer. He was a loner who hardly knew anyone else. He rarely left the house, preferring the solitude of his flat and the Internet for his solace. Harry stumbled into a gaming website one day. He was enticed by the site and its promises of giving away (credit) to attempt his hand at poker, so he did as he was instructed. After Harry’s early experiences playing poker with pals, he decided to give online poker a go. He initially acted elated and stated that he had won money. He hadn’t felt this energized in a very long time. He kept on playing by charging more virtual chips to his credit card. About twelve weeks afterward, Harry had used up his available credit and had his credit cards terminated.
He had depleted his life money on the website. Thankfully, his niece made weekly visits to see him. During a visit, he lost it and told her everything that had been bothering him. At this time, he decided to seek assistance. Harry didn’t realize that his emotional vulnerability made him more prone to gambling problems. After the death of his wife, he became depressed and lonely, and he considered turning to gambling as an escape from his suffering. Online gambling’s allure wore off quickly, and he found himself trapped in a dangerous cycle of the activity. To start Harry off on the road to recovery from his grief and despair, I referred him to a psychiatrist who gave him an anti-depressant. He was able to gain some control over his outlook on life and his loneliness through cognitive-behavioral treatment. He also started going to a 12-step Anonymous gambling meeting, where he met other people going through the same things and learned about overcoming addiction.
The following are some recommendations
- If you enjoy betting and want to do it online, be sure that you are not gambling as a means of escaping from mental issues such as depression, anxiety, or anger, or from life crises such as the end of a relationship, the loss of a job, or anything else that might be weighing on your mind. Instead of gambling with your finances, you might consider seeing a therapist.
- If you do decide to gamble, plan and set aside a certain amount of both time and money for it.
- You should not play for the money but rather for the fun of it.
- Never put more in danger than you can realistically afford to lose.
- Figure out how to stop when you’re exhausted.
- Do not mix alcohol or illegal drugs with gambling on the internet.
- Playing games with money that you have borrowed should be avoided at all costs.
- Make sure to keep your gambling in moderation and balance it out with other activities that are good for you.
- If you find that you are unable to control how much money you spend on gambling, you need to seek help.
The person who plans to engage in online Indian poker gaming must take responsibility for preventing the activity from becoming compulsive. Poker and other internet gambling games are designed purely for entertainment.